Williamson County is one of the fastest-growing counties in the country! Located in Central Texas just north of the state capitol in Austin, Williamson County is gaining in its reputation as an exceptional place to live. Physically, the eastern part of the county is level black land soil and the western part rolling limestone hills, all drained by the San Gabriel River and tributaries. The county has a lively history including Comanche's, outlaws, Texas Rangers, the Chisholm Trail, cowboys, and sturdy pioneers. Today, the county is a center for agribusiness, education, and high-tech industry.
Williamson County is blessed with a mild climate offering more than 300 sunny days each year, affordable living, good schools, clean air, scenic open spaces, and an abundance of recreational opportunities. The county is well known for a very low crime rate and friendly, neighborly people. Unlike most states, Texas has no state personal income tax. All these reasons make Williamson County one of the most desirable places to live and work in the United States.
History: The county was organized in 1848 and named for Robert M. Williamson, pioneer leader and veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto.
Form of Government: A political subdivision of the State of Texas
Area: 1,135 square miles (1,124 sq. miles/land; 12 sq. miles/water)
Population: 609,017 according to 2020 Census
Health Ranking: Williamson County ranks as one of the healthiest counties in Texas. The 2021 County Health Rankings, released March 31, deem the county as Texas’ second healthiest place to live among the 244 ranked counties in Texas. The County Health Rankings are conducted by the University of Wisconsin’s Population Health Institute and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. All counties are ranked using a variety of data factors, which measure the rate of education, housing, crime, employment, unhealthy behaviors, and exercise.
Historic Courthouse: Williamson County's historic courthouse, 710 S. Main in Georgetown, was designed by Charles H. Page and Bro. The three-story, buff brick building was opened in 1911. With a grant from the Texas Historical Commission, it was restored in 2005-2007. It is a prime example of the Beaux-Arts architectural style with extended porticos on each side with triple-arched entrances. Two-story Ionic columns support decorative pediments and a terra cotta balustrade surrounds the roof. A copper dome with clocks on each side sits in the center of the roof with a blindfolded statue of Themis on top holding scales and a sword.