Adoption: Adult or Child
A party or parties must follow the Texas Family Code 162.00  if adopting in the State of Texas. The code sets out specific statutes regarding the adoption of a child or an adult.  The adoption petition is filed in the District Clerk’s Office, and there are filing fees attached. There also will be additional fees attached for costs incurred by ad litem fees, home studies etc. These are just to name a few that will be in addition to the costs charged by the clerk to file the petition. The adoption process is very technical in law, and the party must adhere to all procedures set out in the Family Code. Please be advised the clerk nor the court can guide you through the process. If you cannot afford an attorney, there are resources that you may investigate such as Texaslawhelp.org, Texas Lawyer Referral Service or the State Bar for a listing of attorneys.
Further Child Support Information

The District Clerk's office will answer other information regarding child support in writing, by phone or in person. Please provide the name of the payer, the payee and the court case number. We are sorry, but we cannot provide legal advice. The office is located in the Williamson County Justice Center, 405 M.L.K. St., Georgetown, Texas. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or you may call (512) 943-1212. The mailing address is: Lisa David, Williamson County District Clerk, P.O. Box 24, Georgetown, Texas 78627.

Request for Issuance of the Child Support Order

Request for Issuance of the Spousal Support Order

Click here to download a copy of the Record of Support for State Case Registry

Name Changes in the State of Texas

A name change petition is filed in the District Clerk’s office and requires specific statutes to be followed.

The Texas Family Code Chapter 45 sets out the law regarding doing a name change for adults as well as minors. A filing fee is paid at the time of filing of the petition in the clerk’s office. Please be advised that the clerk nor the court can advise you on the law regarding your name change petition.
Click here to download a Change of Address form. (This form can be mailed to the District Clerks office)

Child Support Information

As of September 2004, all child support payments have been directed to the San Antonio Disbursement Unit. Changes of name and address for child support payments must be made by mail to the District Clerk. No telephone changes can be accepted. Any changes of employers must be made by contacting the District Clerk and a form must be filled out with updated information. A $15 fee is charged for new withholding orders to employers.

Lisa David
Williamson County District Clerk
P.O. Box 24
Georgetown, Texas 78627
Pro Se Divorce Information


If you intend to represent yourself "Pro Se" (without the assistance of an attorney) you must have knowledge of the law to prepare and file the necessary pleadings and present your cause to the Court, the same as an attorney is required to do. The Clerk is prohibited from checking your documents to see if they are in compliance.

The only suggestion the clerk's office can offer is for you to: check bookstores for information on filing your own divorce, go to the Library and research the Texas Family Code, Chapter 6 for information, research on the internet or see an attorney. You may contact The Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas @ 866-303-8303 or online @ www.AustinLRS.org. You may also search the internet@ www.texaslawhelp.org.


  1. Bring your Original Petition for Divorce and 2 copies to the District Clerk’s office to be filed. All documents must be single sided.
  2. Filing fees are due at the time of filing. Divorce with or without children... $350. There may be additional fees assessed depending on whether you are requesting citation and service. Payment is accepted in the form of cash, money order, cashier's check or credit card. (Please note there is a convenience fee associated with credit card payments). NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED.
  3. The Petition will be filed stamped, assigned a cause number and court. Please make sure you have this information available when you contact our office concerning your case. The District Clerk's phone number is (512) 943-1212. Hours of operation are Monday- Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
  4. In most cases the Petition must be on file for at least 60 days before you can go before the judge for a final hearing. Please refer to the rules for further information.
  5. After the waiting period has expired (if required) and your paperwork is in order, please refer to the court information document you were provided at the time of your filing. You will appear in your assigned court for the Uncontested Docket. You will need to bring the Final Decree of Divorce and be prepared to present your case to the Court.
  6. Most courts will not hear uncontested cases after the 9:00 Uncontested Docket so please make sure you arrive early.
  7. If a citation was served and an answer was filed, you will need to schedule a hearing date with the Court Administrator for your assigned court and notify the other party of the hearing.
  8. If the Judge signs the Order, you MUST bring the Original Order to the District Clerk's Office to be file marked. You may purchase copies of your Final Order at that time.
  9. If you or your spouse will be receiving child support, you must provide the District Clerk's office with the required information to set up your child support account. The child support information form can be located on the District Clerk's website @ www.wilco.org. Select the District Clerk Department and look under "Forms". Please note all child support payments are federally mandated to be sent through the State Disbursement Unit (SDU) P.O. Box 659791, San Antonio, Texas 78265-9941 and this must be specified in your Final Decree and the Order Withholding.
  10. A Vital Statistic Form must be completed and filed when you are filing the Final Order. This is a State mandated form and can be located on the District Clerk's website.


Legal Definitions
Pro se:  advocating on one's own behalf before a court, forgoing legal representation by an attorney.
Frequently Asked Questions

Can you tell me how to file my own divorce?

We are not attorneys and are prohibited by law from giving any legal advice. We cannot give you instructions on filing your divorce or answer any questions on the accuracy of your papers or how to present your case to the judge. If you intend to represent yourself pro se, without the assistance of an attorney, you must have the knowledge to prepare and file the proper pleadings and present your case to the court. We advise you to consult an attorney if you have any questions or are unsure as to what you need to do.

Do you have the forms to file a divorce?

The District Clerk does not have the papers or forms necessary for the filing of a divorce or any other law suit or pleading.

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree or other copies?

All copies are $1.00 for the first page and $.25 for each additional page. All certified copies are $1.00 per page. Copies of documents may be obtained upon payment of the appropriate fees either in person during regular office hours, or by writing or calling the District Clerk's office to obtain the purchase amount. Please include the case number and/or names of the parties to the case when making inquiries.

What are the office hours of the District Clerk's office?

The District Clerk's office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How do I get a case set or get information on a court hearing?

To set your case for a hearing or to appear on the uncontested docket or to check on a setting, you must call the court administrator of the appropriate court at one of the following phone numbers:

277th District Court - (512) 943-1277

368th District Court - (512) 943-1368

26th District Court - (512) 943-1226

395th District Court - (512) 943-1395
425th District Court - (512) 943-3380
County Court at Law No. 1 - (512) 943-1201

County Court at Law No. 2 - (512) 943-1410

County Court at Law No. 3 - (512) 943-1160
County Court at Law No. 4 - (512) 943-1681

How do I file an answer when I have been served with a citation?

The District Clerk does not have a form for filing an answer and cannot assist you on how to file an answer. We are not attorneys and are prohibited by law from giving any legal advice. Consult an attorney for any assistance.

What do I do about the taxes when a delinquent tax suit has been filed against me?

Contact the appropriate Tax Assessor-Collector regarding the amount of taxes owed or for information on payment of the taxes. Since a tax suit has been filed, court costs will also be due in addition to the taxes. Contact the District Clerk's office for the amount of court costs and payment information.