Emergency Protective Orders

Q: What will happen if I decide not to follow EPO?

A: If an EPO has been entered against you, DO NOT VIOLATE IT! Violation of a protective order is a crime punishable by fines and imprisonment. You should consult with your attorney regarding any questions about the EPO.

Q: What if I want the charges dropped?.

A: The Magistrate Judge does not have the authority to drop, reduce, dismiss, or consider the non-prosecution of charges pending against any defendant.

Q: What can I do to make the EPO go away?
A: The EPO will remain in effect until it expires. However, you may request a modification to the Order. The order may be modified if the court finds:

  • The order has become un-workable.
  • A modification will not place the victim(s) at greater risk; and
  • The modification will not in any way endanger the person(s) protected.

If you believe that you are entitled to a modification of the EPO, please complete the following process:

After notice has been provided to all parties, including the District and/or County Attorney, a hearing will be held for the court to consider the motion. You must appear at the hearing, or your motion will not be considered.