New residents are required to do the following within 30-90 days of moving to Texas (if more than 90 days please contact your local tax office):
Bring all of the following items to one of our locations:
- Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) – ask the station for the Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR). Verify that the vehicle identification number on the form matches your vehicle information. No alterations or errors will be accepted. Inspector original signature. Inspection station locator and information.
- Original out-of-state title or last registration receipt. If it is a leased vehicle, the leasing companies Power of Attorney. or Limited Power of Attorney form VTR-271 completed by the lessor is required.
- Completed Application for Texas Title (VTR-130 U)
- Valid government-issued ID
- Proof of current Texas liability insurance or out-of-state insurance that meets or exceeds the Texas requirements (may be listed on your insurance declaration page). The minimum amount of coverage required by the State of Texas:
- $30,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person in one accident
- $60,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in one accident
- $25,000 for property destruction or damage to others in one accident
- Any supporting documents such as Release of Lien, Power of Attorney (VTR-271) , etc.
- If your vehicle is from out of the country, please click here for additional requirements.
- Title Application fee $33
- Applicable registration fee
- $90 New resident Fee OR 6.25 % sales tax calculated on the purchase price or the standard presumptive value whichever is greater.
- You may also need to provide paid sales tax verification if a vehicle has been previously registered and titled by you in another state. If you are transferring title into your name from a recent purchase you will pay Texas sales tax (6.25%) which replaces the new resident fee. Texas law changed on October 1, 2006 for the base amount used to calculate sales tax. See Standard Presumptive Value.
- If over 30 calendar days additional penalties may apply.
Click here for accepted payment methods.