Today, the Williamson County Commissioners Court approved agreements for Wilco Forward Phase III to provide rent and utility assistance to residents that are in need through partnerships with local non-profits. Terms of agreement were approved between Williamson County and The Caring Place, The Salvation Army, and the Round Rock Serving Center. Phase III is funded with $5 million from a combination of Community Development Block Grant funds and the approximately $93 million the County received in federal CARES Act funds.
“Now that we have assisted thousands of small businesses in our community, it is important to turn our attention to supporting the residents in Williamson County that have been dealing with the financial burdens COVID-19 has caused. We hope this assistance gives those in need some relief,” said Williamson County Precinct 3 Commissioner Valerie Covey.
The three agencies will serve as conduits for assistance. These agencies will be reimbursed by the County for rent assistance and/or utility assistance provided to residents across Williamson County between March 1 through December 30, for a total of up to $5 million. The County will monitor the total amount of funds spent to date so that the Phase III budget is not exceeded.
All three agencies will follow the criteria below to assess eligibility:
- All residences assisted must be located in Williamson County, but not in the city limits of Austin
- Up to the rent amount based on the lease agreement plus late fees for up to a total of 3 months
- For approved applications, the applicant must request additional funds after the first month of assistance on an as needed basis
- Up to $1,500 of utility assistance per residence on an as needed basis
- Applicant must show evidence that the assistance is needed due to issues caused by COVID-19.
Each agency will handle the application and vetting process in their service areas, along with the issuing of the checks directly to the landlord, property management company, or utility company. The following are the service areas for each entity. Residents in Williamson but within the city limits of Austin must contact the City of Austin.
- Round Rock Area Serving Center: Round Rock, Brushy Creek/Fern Bluff MUD, Hutto areas outside of Georgetown ISD, zip code 78717 in Williamson County but not in the city limits of Austin
- The Caring Place: Georgetown, Andice, Bartlett, Florence, Granger, Jarrell, Jonah, Schwertner, Walburg, Weir, Hutto areas within Georgetown ISD
- The Salvation Army: Cedar Park, Coupland, Leander, Liberty Hill, Taylor, Thrall, and all other areas of Williamson County not served by the other two agencies, zip codes 78729 and 78750 in Williamson County but not in the city limits of Austin
Residents will have to reach out directly to the agency serving their city to be able to request financial assistance.