Voter Registration Certificates are no longer a valid form of ID when voting. Please click here to find out more about new Photo ID voting requirements.
Here is a diagram and some important information about your Voter Registration Certificate:
1. VUID – This is your 10-digit statewide Voter Unique Identification Number issued by the Secretary of State’s office. This number remains the same as long as you are a registered voter in the State of Texas regardless of the County in which you reside or if you move from one County in Texas to another.
2. Precinct No. – Your precinct is based upon your residence address and determines your Election Day polling location.
3. Valid beginning January 1, 2012 and expiring December 31, 2013. Upon expiration, new certificates are automatically mailed to voters with active registrations.
4. Residence Address – Your name and address of residence as provided when you registered to vote. Your precinct is based upon this address.
5. Please sign your certificate upon receipt.
6. When voting in a primary election, you must state the party you would like to receive a ballot from. Your selection will then be indicated in this space. This also helps ensure you will receive a ballot from the same party should a runoff election be required. If you did not vote in the initial primary but would like to vote in a subsequent runoff, you will be able to make your party selection at that time.
7. These are the districts in which you reside.
- US Rep = United States Congress
- State Senate and State Rep = Texas Legislature
- Co. Comm = County Commissioner Precinct
- J.P. = Justice of the Peace District
8. Mailing Address – Address provided by you to our office indicating where you wish to receive your mail. This address is not used in determining your precincts or in which races you will be eligible to vote.
– This is an external tracking number for mailing purposes.
– This is an internal tracking number which should be scanned by poll workers when presented at a polling location to check-in voters.