The transfer should take place within 30 calendar days to avoid any penalties. All transactions require original signed documents. Faxed, scanned or emailed copies are not acceptable and signatures must be in ink. Information provided is based on actual owner transactions. All transactions require government issued photo identification.
The buyer will need to bring in the following information:
1) The original title properly assigned by seller(s) to buyer(s). Signatures of all listed owners required.
- Texas Department of Motor Vehicles now offers a Title Check service. Title Check will search to see if the title of the vehicle you're considering has any issues impacting its value. Title Check only has information on vehicles titled in Texas. For more information visit the TxDMV website.
2) An original Application for Texas Certificate of Title (form 130-U) completed by both seller(s) and buyer(s). If vehicle is a gift, please see our Gift Transfer Section for additional requirements and eligibility.
3) Proof of Texas Liability Insurance. Insurance must be in the name of buyers listed on title and the title application. Insurance on another vehicle can be shown for up to 30 days from the date of sale. Motorcycles require motorcycle insurance.
4) Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) – Inspection Report showing emissions test overall passed and issued within last 90 days. Required only if the vehicle was last registered or titled in a county without an emissions inspection program.
- Title only transfers
- Vehicles less than 2 years old or vehicles older than 24 years
- Diesel powered vehicles, vehicles registered as antique, motorcycle, and title only vehicles.
5) If the vehicle was purchased out of state have a Texas vehicle inspection done first; please ask the station for the VI-30 Form. Verify that the vehicle identification number on the form matches your vehicle information and bring the form to the tax office. No alterations or errors will be accepted. Inspection station locater and information.
6) Any supporting documents such as Release of Lien, Power of Attorney, etc. If the vehicle was a gift, please see our Gift Tax procedures below.
7) If you are a Texas resident who purchased a vehicle from overseas, please click here for additional requirements.
Fees may vary depending on actual transaction but typically include:
- title fee $33
- registration fee $64.25 (light trucks and passenger cars)
- sales tax calculated at 6.25% on the purchase price or the standard presumptive value whichever is greater.
Click here to visit our fees page.
Title transfers are handled Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Payments made by check may be converted to an electronic funds transfer.
Back to Top