Registration and License Plate Fees - Registration and license plate fees changed September 1, 2011. The registration fee change went into effect with August 2011 expirations.
Click here for the registration and title fee chart
Late Registration Fees
After your vehicle registration has expired, you have five business days to renew your registration without penalty. If you renew your vehicle's registration after it is due, you will have to disclose if anyone received a citation for driving that vehicle with an expired registration and whether or not the vehicle has been driven. Depending on the facts, registration may be issued for a 12 month period or a penalty of 20% in addition to the 12 month registration period will be charged. You may also contact our office for fees.
Title Transfer Fees
Title Transfer Fee Penalties
You have 30 calendar days from the date of sale to title and register the vehicle to avoid paying a late transfer penalty. If you don't apply for a new title within 30 calendar days, you will automatically be charged a $25 penalty, plus another $25 for every month you're late up to a maximum of $250.
Sales Tax Fees
Motor Vehicle Sales Tax:
1. Sales Tax is 6.25% of the Taxable value (Taxable value equals Purchase Price less any Trade In and/or Manufacturer's Rebate or the price you paid or consideration given for the vehicle).
2. Amount of tax paid to another STATE (local taxes included are not considered for credit purposes) (include a copy of your PAID Tax Receipt IN YOUR NAME in order to receive proper sales tax credit).
3. If your proof of sales tax paid in another state exceeds the sales tax amount calculated for the state of Texas, you owe no tax.
4. New resident tax is $90.00. You may also need to provide sales tax verification if a vehicle has been previously registered and titled by you in another state. If you are transferring title into your name from a recent purchase you will pay Texas sales tax (6.25%) which replaces the new resident fee.
Sales Tax Fee Penalties
Vehicle transfers should take place within 30 calendar days of date of sale. After the 30th calendar day, an additional penalty fee will be added and will increase after 60 days.
Please contact our office for additonal information 512-943-1602.
Acceptable methods of payment
- checks - must include driver's license number and day time phone number.
- money orders
- credit cards with a Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express logo along with the cardholders driver's license. There is a 2.19% vendor convenience fee for all motor vehicles credit card transactions, with a minimum fee of $1. The convenience fees associated with credit card transactions are passed along to credit card users and are not paid by the Williamson County budget. Payments made by check may be converted to an electronic funds transfer.
Back to Top