Veterans Day Events
11/9/2011 4:45 PM
Williamson County offices will be closed for Veterans Day on Friday, November 11, 2011.
The Williamson County Veterans Services Department would like to make the public aware of several events planned throughout the county to celebrate veterans.
• Veterans Day Celebration on Friday, November 11, begins at 11:00 a.m. at the Georgetown-Williamson County Veterans Memorial, 2 Texas Drive, Sun City, in Georgetown, Texas.
• November 11, 9:00 a.m., there will be a ceremonial cutting of the cake symbolizing the US Marine Corp’s 236th birthday by the Hendrickson High School Marine Corp Junior ROTC. Hendrickson High School is located at 905 FM 685, Pflugerville, Texas.
• Texas State University will be holding a Veterans Appreciation Gathering on November 9 from 5:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Avery Building-Room 256. The Round Rock campus is located at 1555 University Blvd., Round Rock, Texas.
• Deep Woods Elementary School, located at 705 St. Williams Ave. Round Rock, Texas, is holding their annual Veteran's Day Breakfast. US Veterans are welcomed to come in and have breakfast with their student. The breakfast is on Friday, November 11, from 7:30 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. in the DWE Science Lab.
• The Williamson County Regional Animal Shelter is offering adoptions on any animal at the shelter for $11 on Veterans Day, and the adoption fee is waived for Veterans or active military personnel and their immediate family. The shelter is located at 1855 S.E. Inner Loop in Georgetown, and they are open 12 to 6 p.m. on Friday.
• Hug A Hero: at the Frank Fickett Center/Boy Scouts Capitol Area Council- 12500 N. IH 35, (exit 245- Parmer Lane) Austin, Texas, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Visit with active and retired men and women who have served our country and help launch the Letters to Soldiers campaign. The event is sponsored by Soldiers’ Angels.
• Veterans’ Day Parade – Travis County: Begins on Congress Avenue and runs to the steps of the Texas State Capitol. The annual Veterans’ Day Parade will be held on November 11, 2011 in downtown Austin, Texas. The event kicks off at 9 a.m. from the Ann Richards Congress Avenue Bridge and travels up to the Capitol Building. Viewing is available all along Congress Avenue and there will be a reviewing stand at the Steven F. Austin Hotel at Congress and 7th. Stay for the 11 a.m. ceremony at the South Capitol steps.
• This year's theme for the Travis County and City of Austin Veterans' Day Parade and Memorial Ceremony at the South Steps of the State Capitol will be honoring “GULF WAR 20TH ANNIVERSARY” 1990 ‐ 2010. A special flyover is scheduled for the start of the Memorial Ceremony, at 11 a.m., performed by the Commemorative Air Force from San Marcos, Texas.
• Central Texas Veterans Celebration on November 13, will be held at the Westlake Performing Arts Center. There will be a dramatic presentation by the Ft. Hood NCO Academy, with special guest Captain Scotty Smiley- the only blind, active-duty member of the military. Each veteran will receive a gift package. The event starts at 10:30 a.m. RSVP to 512-220-6383.
There will be other small ceremonies and events around the county. Check with your local VFW and American Legion for details.
Williamson County Veterans Services offices provide eligible veterans, dependants, and survivors direct and general support and assistance in obtaining all benefits to which they are entitled from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, state of Texas, and Williamson County. Williamson County Veterans Services is located in the Williamson County Central Maintenance Facility, located at 3151 S.E. Inner Loop, Suite C, and is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. A satellite office is located in Taylor at the Taylor Annex, 412 Vance Street, on the first floor. That office is open on Wednesdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Additional resource information is available by contacting office personnel at 512-943-1900, or by visiting their web page at http://www.wilco.org/CountyDepartments/VeteransServices/tabid/470/language/en-US/Default.aspx.